Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My last resort came through.

After hours of faxing and phone calls, Palm Haven Manteca said they could take him. My god, the relief. And, for once, I actually do not feel bad that I am relieved. My kids are so terrified of Grandpa at this point that they run out of the room when he comes near.
And he has been SO awful today. Literally every 5 minutes for hours he was yelling that he needed help.
Everytime we move him it's at least a 15 minute process because he moves a half inch at a time and he can't turn or bend...we do all the work. So...we'll do all of this and get him in the chair he asked to be in...then 5 minutes passes and he pops right up with complete ease and screams for help into bed again. Another 15 minutes to get him in bed and then 5 minutes later he pops right up and screams to go to his chair. And everytime he screams for us, he says horrible things about how he's been "waiting a Fucking hour for us and how we're monsters and mutherfuckers and how the lord will make us pay for what we've done to him".
Holy CRAP.
I am SO not good with that kind of behavior.
I should be the one that can rationalize that this is a disease, right? That it's the disease making him say these things? The thing is that his mother was exactly like this...but not just with the dementia...that was her personality. And my Dad was like this as a drunk. He really wasn't a very nice person, to be truthful...and this just seems like his old personality coming out again...through Lewy.
I hear about people who were kind, quiet people, preachers even...who, once struck with Alzheimer's or another dementia, become a monster. I have to admit that I think there is some part of that "monster" that was really inside of them all along though. I just don't see how someone who never cussed their whole life would suddenly utilize words they shunned...unless it was a quiet anger creeping in them the whole time.
So...after taking a half hour of being cussed out, I'd remind Daddy about how IIIII am the only one that's helping him...I asked him if he remembered anyone else since my Mom died coming to help with anything. He quieted down.
Then he fell out of bed trying to pop up again and hubby helped him back up...and then he cursed hubby out again.
When hubby left the room, Daddy started banging on the wall and doing this horrible shrieking-laugh...like the Joker in Batman...and started squealing in this truly evil voice...he said the second hubby went to bed tonight, that he was going to make sure he woke his ass up right away...and he laughed and laughed and said that he'd show US who's boss and in control.
Lewy is scary, scary, scary.

And the 'accidents'...hoo-boy. Today was another doozy huge one. We are seriously going to have to replace our flooring downstairs. It stinks. He had more or less marked his territory LAST time he lived here...and I got the carpets cleaned and it turned out halfway okay. There are certain areas that have still have a "scent"...but after this time around...dear god...no use in trying to professionally clean it again. Our carpet cleaner needs to retire. There have been so many different kinds of spills, stains and accidents...ick. Bewteen the "accidents", Daddy spitting and smashing gum into the floor numerous times, and all the times he SPIT god-awful things on the floor...I can't even fully think about it or I would probably never take my shoes off. I just hope that I got the carpet clean enough so it isn't posing a health hazard.
Blech.

So, anyway, in closing...

One more night with no sleep.
One more night with no sleep.
One more night with no sleep.

No comments: