Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lewy. Guilt tripper.

Didn't hear a peep from Dad until a little after 7am, which is good considering I didn't get to bed until 4:45am. And the 'peep' in question was seeing him flitter by my bedroom door...which is UPSTAIRS. He was walking into my 5-year-olds room...luckily she was already awake and in the next room with her brother or she may have been startled as well.
I was freakin' beat and I used my dark-circled eyes as daggers until Dipshit got up to help him so I could get up oh-so-slowly. I am in serious this morning.
Half a second later Dipshit's back in bed and says Dad's "fine". I let out kind of a growl and say NO WAY...sending him back to help Daddy down the stairs.
I mean, seriously, my Dad can't even sit down without falling half the time...how he gets up those stairs, I don't know...but I'm sure as hell not chancing him going back down the stairs alone. What then-husband was thinking, I dunno.
I get downstairs as quick as I could move myself and Dad's going in circles. I ask him what he needs and he says he just needs to get warm. So I take him into his room, and see his bed's a disaster. I remake the bed and he tells me how he's already tried to go to the bathroom but couldn't. He tells me he is SO thirsty and hasn't had a drop of water since last night. I help him put his shirt on, open the window for some fresh morning air, get him a cold water bottle, and he starts asking me...looking all hunched-over and sad...
Dad: "Is it a possibility that you can just forget how to go to the bathroom?" Me: "Uh-huh" (heart breaking into a million pieces and trying not to start crying)
Dad: "Really?"
Me: (clearing throat) "Well...yeah. Unfortunately the disease you have is making your brain forget how to do everything."
Dad: (voice cracking) "Oh. (pause) Well then I guess that's what it is because I can't seem to get my legs or anything to do what I want them to do. They won't bend or anything when I want them to."
Me: "I know. Your muscles are very stiff most of the time."
Dad: "Yeah. Uh-huh. So is it okay if I drink some water now?"
And his moment of clarity was gone.

No comments: