Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dad, Psych Ward Resident.

After several calls to the place Dad was supposed to be, I found out Dad had been transferred the day after he arrived...to the Geriatric Psych Ward in Menlo Park. The Resident/Assistant to Dad's new Doctor called and told me that Dad was very combative and that though they had originally hoped to take him off all meds to see what they were working with...he is far too combative to allow that. He screams, tries to hit and generally wreaks havoc every second. Sounds a lot like how he was here at my house. They've got him on Seroquel, Haldol and Olanzapine...all pretty serious drugs...and all drugs that are not necessarily approved for use in the elderly with dementia because of the risk of sudden death. My god.
And apparently Dad needed an X-ray of his hand...the Resident didn't know exactly how that all came about...but it took several people to restrain Dad to even get the X-ray...which showed he had many small fractures throughout his hand. They have no idea how that happened. All I know is that in the last few weeks, Daddy has swung at so many objects, fallen, and thrown TV's...so it could've been any number of things that caused this.
I asked Mr. Resident Doctor Zambrano what he thought about contacting Dad or visiting...and he said I should ask the Nurse's since at least one of them is assigned to Dad 24/7 due to his combativeness. He said that they would be the best to assess whether he was having a good enough day to talk/visit. Really, that makes no difference...I don't know that Dad has any good days anymore...and considering we live a good hour and a half from Dad now, it would be an all-day trip to see him...a trip we'd have to plan in advance...and how can you "plan" for Dad to have a good day? You can't. So I guess we can call or visit at our own risk...and without the kids.
I think it may take me a while to get up the nerve to go...and I may wait until brother can go with me. I'm having a really hard time with all of this. I've been doing all kinds or organizing and cleaning around the house and yard...I mean, it's stuff that needs to be done anyway...but I am definitely using manual labor as cathartic therapy. Hey, if it works, it works. But is it working? I dunno.
I also had fun yesterday with the bank. We are trying to get Dad's Social Security check direct deposit nonsense switched to a new account, so that once the Conservatorship thing goes through, there will be this one, untouched account that has only ever had his SS check going into it. But no, hassled again. I got a load of paperwork and was told to call Social Security directly...which got me 47 minutes on the phone with an agent and no progress. Even though I went with Dad 3 years ago to the SS office to set all this crap set up, there was, of course, no record of this and so, of course, I am "not authorized" to do anything. SS doesn't recognize the POA forms. It seems that no one does unless you don't have one, then they want one. Naturally!
And, it seems that the bank doesn't have brother's POA form in the system either, which makes no sense since we both sat at the same desk on the same day and gave the bank our POA form...that has BOTH of our names on it. If they got the form with MY name on it...they automatically have my brothers name too...but no...so that needs to be done again. Seriously, how this world keeps spinning, I really don't know.

No comments: