Tuesday, August 12, 2008

No Facilities for Old Men.

I didn't even get a chance to post yesterday, that's how crazy it's been.
Daddy is the typical Jekyll and Hyde now. Going from completely insane and angry one second, to crying and apologetic the next. I'm not good with that, so I've been doing a lot of walking away from the situation...giving myself a time-out before I react badly. Especially when he starts these conversations with, say, the floor, and he's arguing with it, cursing it, and then I stupidly ask him if he needs something. Bad move. He acts like a mean drunk. He was a mean drunk back in the day. I remember it well. It's as if he's somehow regressed into a drunken stupor without the alcohol.
WELL, the place I was counting on...the nursing facility that caters to people with psych-oriented issues denied us. They said they thought they already had too high of a ratio of people like my Dad. Oh, and that they already filled the bed anyway. 'Nuff said. No one wants to take my Dad. I almost cried on the phone when they told me this. Honestly, I have been turned down by about 35 nursing homes since Friday.
One place did refer me to a locked nursing home in Manteca, which is about 30-40 minutes from here. Within minutes of being turned down for the other place, I found out about this place and I immediately wanted to go look...but...that crap-hole place I talked about with the bratty girl LVN's was sending their Nurse to assess my Dad, so I had to wait.
Take a guess what happened! We sat there, time wasting and ticking away, and the "assessment" Nurse, who looked and smelled as if she'd been smoking since age 2, tells me she doesn't think they can handle him because he can walk and wanders.
F***********CK! I TOLD THEM that he was ambulatory on FRIDAY!!!! I TOLD THEM he wandered on FRIDAY!!! Now it's Monday and I am exasperated, and she acts like this is some new development. I'm sorry, but I must say it....ASSHOLES! Why waste their time and MY time? Arrrrrrrgh!
So the second smoker-Sally left, I jetted to the Manteca facility. While it wasn't up to my clearly impossible standards, it's doable. It's a locked unit, the people there all have some sort of dementia, and they SAID they were positive they could handle him. I repeated at least three times that my Dad wanders, he can walk, and that he gets argumentative. Their answer to all that was, "That stuff happens".
Sadly, I am so jaded that this is not making me jump for joy because 3 other places said the same thing, and then they changed their minds.
Someone is supposed to call me this morning...but I'm already planning on calling by 9 am if they haven't called me by then.
At this point, I would've settled for the craphole place. I am so beyond exhausted. I feel like IIIII have dementia...I can't remember anything, I start doing something and forget why I am there...I'm delusional, moody, and fed up. Someone must take my Dad. Right now. This minute.
And this minute, of course...now that it's morning and I just made the kiddies breakfast...and I need to get ready for the long day ahead...guess who is completely knocked out and comfortably in sleepyland?
Yep, Sleeping beauty is finally asleep now that the rest of us have to be up. He got us up SO many times last night that I can't even remember if I ever fell asleep at all.
Hubby is at an interview this morning so I am hoping that Daddy stays asleep. I have a REALLY hard time getting him in and out of the bathroom considering I am half his size and his limbs bend about as well as a broomstick.
If this place today doesn't pan out, I may just have a nervous breakdown.
And then I'll have to start calling facilities that are hours away, because that's all that's left.

No comments: