Friday, August 8, 2008

Air: A fat-free, no-calorie treat.

I've noticed that Daddy has been doing one thing in particular a lot lately, and he just did it again...he ate air. What I mean is that he thought he'd grabbed something to eat and was walking with nothing in his hand, leaning over taking "bites" out of it...and even chewing!
I asked him what he was eating. He had NO idea he wasn't eating anything.

I was on the phone with my sister and he was doing strange things that she heard me talking to him about...like he grabbed the mop and was "mopping" invisible crumbs off the carpet. Then he got on the phone and had what seemed like a fairly normal conversation. It actually rather annoyed me because we haven't had anything resembling a "normal" conversation with him in weeks! But right after got off the phone with my sister...talking to her like a normal person would, he did the eating air thing.
Pfffft!
From people I've talked to and things I've read, people with Lewy Bodies in particular seem to be able to "keep it together" for just enough time to make a few people think they sound normal...like they are either 'pulling one over' on the rest of us, or are great actors. But then it's back to the same weird behavior. This disease is truly bizarre.

My hunt for a facility today left me scratching my head. Very few places will even consider taking people with dementia if they are ambulatory (able to walk). I toured two places today and one might be a possibility, but everyone there is JUST like Daddy...most are able to get around and they all have some serious mental impairments. This worries me because Daddy is so quick to argue, I'm afraid that he will be in a constant scuff with someone else is also combative and quick to argue...but, as my sister pointed out, our Dad hates confrontation, so that may make him keep quiet. I don't know. I hate making these decsions.

No comments: