Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sleep finally comes...like a boulder.

Last night we gave Daddy his dose of Xanax. Need I mention again that I do not necessarily approve of these sorts of drugs...?...but he was SO very agitated that we had to do something. All day he'd been getting irritated over everything. Then he was yelling at us, saying he was going to "call the law", and then, my favorite...he yelled at my 5 and 9 year old and said they were letting the "jiggaboos" run up and down the stairs. I tried really, really hard not to respond to that, but I couldn't help it. I did raise my voice and tell him that my kids are not racist, and we do not say or think things like that in my house. Period. The he got even more mad and hubby tried to help him to his room and Daddy swung his arm away so fast that he came within an inch of elbowing my 5 year old in the face. Both kids started crying and we told Daddy it was time for some quiet time in his room. Then he yelled more.
Arrrrgh!
But whatever took place between then and bedtime, I don't know. At 9 pm we were beat so we headed to bed. I checked on Daddy one more time before I tried to go to sleep and he was in his bed already sleeping. I couldn't believe it.
Then this morning I woke up at about 6am and realized Daddy hadn't woken us up ALL night. That dread started creeping up my throat.
I went downstairs and he was laying on the floor, halfway inbetween his room and the hallway that goes to the bathroom. There was no sign of blood, or "trauma", but I couldn't wake him. I got hubby and we couldn't get him to respond.
Then we nudged him as we said his name very loudly and he finally started slurring that he needed to go to the bathroom. We tried and tried, and Daddy could not open his eyes or move his limbs. We mangaged to get him on the bed and we put a Depends on him in case he had an accident. He was asleep within seconds, he was barely conscience of the fact that he was being moved.
I can only assume that the Xanax just finally helped him sleep...and that when sleep finally came, his body wasn't giving it up. He finally woke and ate at about noon, but went back to bed and napped most of the day.
My brother came by before dinner and saw a little bit of what's been happening...although I admit that I wish Daddy would've "performed" for him like he's been doing for us. But, no show.
After dinner, Daddy went into his room and sat in his chair.
I hope he gets some sleep tonight...and that last night's sleep-coma on the floor was some strange fluke. Scared the hell outta me.

No comments: