Saturday, January 24, 2009

And the Award goes to...

It's okay, admit it, the relatives I've brought up, you thought I was exaggerating. It's alright, I understand.
Just to show what Grade A people they've been, and to show how much respect they had for my Dad...here is the letter I received yesterday (exactly as she typed it):

Hey! Laine,
How are things your way? Everything is good down in the valley.
Well I have a few things to say: First of all I am so sorry about your dad. He was a very awesome man. I enjoyed him while he was down here. That breaks my heart how you and your family in California treated all of us down here like we were dirt or something. My Grandma Shirley new how you guys would handle everything especially when it came down to her and Uncle Roy's share from Nanny's Inheritance. You know what she didn't care one bit about the money or all of the things that were really supposed to go to her. After all Nanny always favored Uncle Roy and you guys anyway. My grandma went up to heaven with peace in her heart and she was happy. She loved you guys even under the circumstances with you guys. That sure was nice of you to write about us in the paper, about Nanny's house. We all wanted to help, but apparently you had it under control right? That's okay. In the long run we know that we will pass on with peace in our hearts, and YOU? Will you pass with peace in your heart? Yes, This part of the family forgives you and your siblings. We would at least appreciated a phone call about Uncle Roy. He was so excited to spend time up there with his children, but from what I understand he was kept from everything, including my grandma passing away. He wasn't that awful either. He was fine down here. Well I pray for all of you guys. And we do forgive you. May God be with you.
(then hand signed) Leana

I can't remember now if I wrote about this here, but what she means about "writing about them in the paper" was when (over a year ago) I had sent a thank you to the paper, acknowledging the second realtor we had while selling Nany's House. I wanted to publicly thank this woman and let her community know what an above-the-bar job she did for us...because she was put through absolute hell while trying to help us sell that stupid house...oh, you have no idea! I had written how she was so kind and patient when everything that could go wrong did go wrong, which included the house being looted and flooded. I didn't name names. That's all I wrote. Clearly they did what I mentioned or they wouldn't be offended by it. I didn't think THEY would see it in the paper, I didn't even think about it...because, oh yeah, I wasn't writing it for their benefit!
This is just one of many cousins who have spent their entire life screwing up, complaining how they're stuck in a two-bit town with no prospects. Drugs, drinking, and a new 'baby daddy' at every turn. Funny how that stuff just gets "forced" on people, isn't it? How they have no choice, because that's ALL there is to do there?
Well, this, after dealing with Lewy, is a small drop in the bucket. My response has already been mailed out, nicely folded and placed in the middle of a much-needed dictionary.
Yes, that's rude of me.
But I will not tolerate such nonsense from people who don't even get their facts straight before writing some chicken scratch based on what their pickled brain tells them is true.
And they're mad that we didn't let them know about my Dad...that's the real purpose here? They didn't even have contact with my Dad, and he didn't WANT contact with most of them because of how they continually drove their mother/grandmother in the ground and stole money, drugs, and everything they could get their hands on from Nany's house.
And saying that we "kept my Dad from everything including her Grandma (his sister)'s death"...?
MY GOD.
So apparently we were expected to fly our incontinent, and by then fully demented father from CA to New Mexico for his sister's funeral...a funeral he wouldn't even have fully understood? When I told my Dad his sister had passed away, he cried for a few minutes then seemed to forget what he was even crying about. The next day he tried to call his sister because he'd already forgotten she had died.
Really. Abso-freaking-lute GENIUSES!!!!!!!!
Yes, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for forgiving us...oh god-fearing and all-knowing cousins of mine...because we didn't torment our very ill father with his sister's death. We are so very sorry that we didn't do things YOUR ass-backward and completely ridiculous way...thankyouthankyouthankyou for forgiving us.
And, I'm sure I should clarify before someone reads this and gets offended AGAIN...but not ALL of them did this...(I think?)...and not ALL of them were this way...(I hope?)...but unfortunately in this type of situation...had we invited one person to the funeral...yes, OUR DAD'S funeral that WE barely even made it to...then who knows who would've shown up. Not to mention that any of the phone numbers we previously had aren't even valid anymore...they get their phones disconnected, changed or move constantly. I tried calling a few of them after my Dad's sister died to find out where and when to send flowers, and the number's were disconnected. So I called the Church she went to and THEY gave the information. HOW we would've gotten in touch with anyone who would've had anything respectful to say would have been impossible anyway. WE however, have had the same number and address for years, and they knew where WE were...but we didn't hear a peep out of one of them. Family love, respect, and forgiveness? If they loved my Dad so much, why didn't they contact him?
Clearly from the fact that this cousin (who is the granddaughter of my Dad's sister, by the way) was disgusting enough to send such a note the second she heard my Dad died, just imagine what would've happened had they known we were THERE.
Jerry Springer, anyone?
Klassy with a big ol' capital K.

But this just goes along with the territory with these types of people...and I know that many of you have dealt with this kind of nonsense with family/friends...especially when your loved one has a disease like Dementia. They aren't around, they disappear, and basically show how they really don't care about you, your loved one, or what you're all going through. But the second someone dies...AFTER it's too late to do the right thing...AFTER all the time has passed when they coulda, shoulda, woulda done all the things they NEVER did...that's when they show up or write you a note like the one I got.
They didn't have the decency to take part in my Dad's LIFE, but his death was important to them? Why...so that all those phone calls they DIDN'T make had a real REASON for not happening now?

Typical.

And don't you adore how she opened with that 1st grade "how are you I am fine" type of nonsense, then accused, forgave, and ultimately "blessed us" with her god-fearin' words of Family LUV, all in one ignoramus package? Gotta love it. It would've been better written in CRAYON.

3 comments:

no1daughteroflewydad said...

Hello Laine,

Families! Can't live with them, can't live without them...on second thoughts, I bet you're pleased you live interstate from certain family members.
In times of grief you certainly don't need such awful, nasty letters...and from family members...leaves me flabbergasted.

I have read all your posts. You did such an amazing job fighting for your Father, looking out for his best interests and caring for him. Also, I just wanted you to know that I was so angry and upset that I had to go outside and have a cry and a yell about the nurse/admin, intercom and the chair incidents. This was the most callous, horrible, horrible behaviour from a so called, human being, it shook me to the core...what type of person could do such a thing.

You have been through enough. Make sure you have some 'ME' time.

Lots of best wishes from me and my family to you and your's...well...most of them.

Life With Lewy said...

Thank you!
I really am trying to have "me" time, but it's really been about catching up on all the projects Lewy wouldn't let me finish...and falling asleep the second I sit down...which has been by 7 pm some days!
I hear it's not possible to "catch up" on sleep...and so far that's true...still exhausted...but I'm holding out hope that one day I will wake up and be refreshed! Got a gift certificate for a massage on X-Mas from brother & his girlfriend...maybe that'll fix me up!

findingmeagain said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.