Thursday, March 19, 2009

Oh, the VA...just GOTTA love 'em...

Yeah...so as I've mentioned, I have always received and paid Dad's bills. But...once he got the CEPS program and they took over his SS check, etc., and of course since his passing, I've ignored everything that came in. It's done, over with, gone.
No one is responsible for anything anymore. There's no estate, Finito. Nada. Adios.
WELL. I have been receiving what appears to be the same bills from the VA for months now. Before Daddy passed, I was forwarding them to CEPS, and they didn't pay them, so they kept getting sent back to me.
One time a couple of months ago out of curiosity, I opened one and it was all this nonsense about how "because they had not heard from him, his previous VA benefits were canceled" and now he owed something upward of $10,000. He was in THEIR care at the time, at a VA hospital, yet "because they hadn't heard from him...".
Total crock. I had to laugh. So typical of the VA.
Well, I was starting to get a bit annoyed at all the VA-related stuff filling my mailbox, so yesterday, instead of (again, again, again) writing in huge black letters, "DECEASED, Not At This Address", I opened it.
It was a bill, complete with interest, no less!
I called the number for "Questions about your Bill".
Turns out that the VA has in "their official records" (which are NEVER wrong, how dare you even think such a thing?!) that my Dad passed away March 16th. That's only two days prior to my call to them about this, so at first I was treated like a criminal trying to get out of paying for legitimate charges.
I laughed out loud when the lady asked me "if I was sure" that my Dad didn't pass away March 16th...
Uuuuuuuhhhhh, yeah, I'm, um, pretty sure.
Wanna read my blog?
Haha.
I had to ASSURE her that he had indeed passed away January 5th, and she tried to connect me with the "proper people" to make this "official" but they were on the East Coast and already closed. Well of course.
I called those people today, and was again sorta treated like I was trying to pull one over on them. She said I needed to fax a death certificate to "prove his death". Okay, yeah, yeah, that's fine...but I don't need to be treated like an insane bill-dodger while you're dealing with me, people!
But I guess I should mention that she DID say she was "sorry for my loss" before she got off the phone with me.
Gee, thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's ridiculous. My Dad got approved for the VA but I'm worried that it will nothing but problems down the road. The VA needs a serious overhaul and funding. I hope your situation gets sorted soon.

Life With Lewy said...

Me too! I just hope their "little" mistake doesn't hold up my Dad getting his headstone! Arrrgh!
I hope I'm not scaring you with all my horrible tales about our experiences with the VA...but we've definitely gotten the run-around at every corner. I will cross my fingers that your experience is MUCH different...but maybe, just be prepared anyway...have your loaded guns ready! LOL...
They definitely need an overhaul...the men and women who utilize (and need) the VA deserve SO much better than what they get, that's for sure! Good luck, and thanks!

no1daughteroflewydad said...

Hi Laine,

How frustrating to say the least. My blood started to boil...how does January sound like March.
I keep being horrified by your government's systems. We aren't perfect here but I think things are generally a lot fairer and more organised. But I wont speak to soon as I'm just beginning on the paper work, find a vacancy, respite route.

best wishes