Saturday, September 13, 2008

Re-entering the real world.

I have not posted because I have been attemtping to re-enter the real world, sans Lewy.
This, I now know, is impossible, but I tried it.
What really happened was...while I was trying to get back to doing "normal", healthy things, like playing with my kids and running errands without deadlines or fear of screaming Lewy looming over my sweating head...I kept getting tag-teamed by the VA. Oh my.
There were Doctors and many, many nurses calling me...even the Social Worker there was in on it. For example, last Friday I was called 7 times within an hour by 3 people. I assume they planned it that way...they are trying to break me down, play with my emotions, play on my overly stimulated sense of guilt...to get me to come pick up my Dad and bring him home.
It started off with Nurse Nancy...who called me on her personal cell to, I kid you not, tell me that my Dad was "all better now"....they had CURED him...he was "as right as rain" and "as clear as a bell". HER words.
She said, with my Dad standing right next to her, that he was "just so sad that IIIII refused to come pick him up because there is just NOTHING WRONG with him anymore...he's ready for US to take him home"!!!!!!!!!!! Can you BELIEVE THAT?
I told her that if, indeed, they had found a magic pill or cure...that we'd better inform the media right away since millions of people will want this CURE for dementia they apparently have. It was unfreakinbelievable, the things this woman said. I said it was pretty unbelievable that she felt it was appropriate to say things like this to my Dad, and in front of my Dad.
The resident Doctor Zambrano also tagged me...saying more or less the same thing...then the Social Worker, this Laurie Ackerman...who said the opposite, admitting that my Dad was NOT magically cured...but that she was "able to talk ANYONE into anything"...like what? Talking me into coming to pick my Dad up? My consistent "NO's" frustrated her to no end.
I held my ground with these people, but when I finally got a hold of brother, the stress of it hit me and I broke down crying. They HAD played on my feelings and guilt. They KNOW I'm the one who clearly has no common sense when it comes to my Dad...and oh did they try to use that in their favor. But my exhaustion has pounded some sense into me afterall...and I did NOT allow them to get anywhere with me.
Long story short, what happened on their end is that the usual Social Worker (Ackerman) was on vacation and the one filling in not only dropped the ball on filing the Conservatorship papers...but did not even ADMIT my Dad into the facility properly. So, according to their paperwork, they were keeping my Dad against his wishes and illegally.
THAT is not my problem.
They went from being astounded that little ol' me had been taking care of my Dad all this time, to not caring who took him off their hands ASAP.
I've seen the VA number a dozen times on my caller ID since, but I've been screening my calls and only answer when it's my Dad...who, needless to say, is nowhere near sounding "right as rain". He's just as paranoid and delusional as ever.
The Social Worker got a hold of my brother in an attempt to sway him...she left a message basically saying she wasn't getting anywhere with me and that I sounded "stressed".
Uh, really?
When I went to my Alzheimer's group and told them the latest, they couldn't believe it either. Every one of them said to ignore the VA's calls, and to NOT visit my Dad until he was placed somewhere else and made a ward of the state. They all said the same thing...that if me and my brother went to visit Dad this weekend as we planned, that these idiots could easily discharge my Dad and say they suddenly had no bed available...and god forbid if we took him out to lunch as we probably would have...that when we came back, he would have "magically" been disharged as well. I would not put that past these people. Not to mention that I'm sure we'd get cornered by all of them.
Some of my support group friends also said they might consider changing their phone number or consulting an attorney in this case...if for no other reason than to handle the abuse these people are dishing out to my Dad by telling him they are just waiting for US to take responsibilty and come pick him up. They're right, it is abuse. You just don't play with someone's head like that...especially someone who's mental function is not normal, it's cruel.
Yesterday the Resident Zambrano left another message...it said that Dr. Fenn, the "real" (chief) Doctor...wanted to talk to me RIGHT AWAY. Too bad. I've left SEVERAL messages for this Dr. Fenn and he has ignored them. But now that HE has something to say apparently and they are dying to get rid of my Dad, via MY car, he wants to talk to me. Nope. Not gonna happen. And what really boiled my blood was that I could totally tell that the phone call was made on speakerphone...so I can only assume that several of them were in the same office, all dying to hear what I had to say and planned on tag-teaming me yet again...but all on the same line this time. I mean, why bother with separate phone calls when there's SPEAKERPHONE? They could all yell at me and tell me again how they're "trying not to pass judgement on WHY I won't take RESPONSIBILITY" simultaneously that way!
Anyway, inbetween all this nonsense, I am trying to catch up on normal life...which has really equalled me falling asleep at 6pm and not waking up until the next morning. And I'm still tired.
I also finally got some thyroid test results back and they were far from normal, again. So, another change in my meds...but at least it gives me an explanation for why I have been feeling like a complete slug everyday.
Other than that...we celebrated my daughter's 6th birthday and that was great...it's the first low-key, non stressful occasion we've had in years. YEARS!!!!! It was nice just being able to concentrate on the task at hand...which was making sure my daughter had fun. Amazing how the obvious slips away when your priorities are so tangled up in everything but the actual task at hand.
Life.
Lewy.

No comments: