Monday, September 1, 2008

Just the daily...

We are in the midst of ripping out all the downstairs flooring that Lewy ruined. I couldn't have imagined just how messy this was gonna be...but it should be all over in a few days, right? Then we'll have new floors that haven't been stained with 5 different bodily fluids or flooded. Looking forward to it!
The "Resident" Doctor called yesterday...more nonsense about the Conservatorship...and that they don't want to do it. I basically repeated what I already told him...I can't take care of Daddy. He asked if we were abandoning him then...?
My gawd, please. I reminded him that I have devoted myself to making my Dad's life better (or trying anyway) for over 3 years...to the detriment of my own family and health in the process. Just because I am finally taking a step back and saying I need help...I am abandoning him now? He was trying to get names and numbers of "other" family members HE thinks should take care of him. I laughed and said good luck with that...and gave him no information.
Honey, if there were "other" help out there...dontcha think I'd have utilized that by now?
A nurse dialed my number for Daddy today. When I saw the VA number, I assumed it was more Conservator questions...but it was actually my Dad. For the first time in a really long time, I was really, reallllllly happy to hear his voice. Maybe that's awful to say...but I have been neck deep in Daddy for over 3 years. I have now had over one week of silence from Lewy's screaming and acting out...so I was able to actually enjoy talking to him...my Dad, not Lewy.
He sounded okay, actually...slurring his words a bit, but he was making some sense today...asking how we all were, how the kids were...but asked where I'd been and why I haven't visited "in months", though it had only been one week. I told him I was planning on visiting him next week once we got the kids back on their school schedules (they start back tomorrow).
All in all, he sounded good...at least, a lot better than recent months, and that's something...I'll take it.
Oh, and today is Nany's birthday. She's been gone a year and and 9 months. She would've been 93 today. I don't think Daddy remembered because he would've said something about it. I wasn't about to remind him. If there is a positive thing about this damn disease is that it's robbing him of the bad memories too.
Sigh...

No comments: